Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

astro turf, plastic bamboo and a basing question

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

astro turf, plastic bamboo and a basing question

Postby yankee sam » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:50 am

As usual, I have more questions than contributions. Just picked up four 6x6" samples of astro turf from my local DIY store. Heavy rubber backed and grass about 1 1/4 height. For those of you who use it for elephant grass, what size and shapes do you cut it? I am thinking either oval 2-2 1/2 pieces to place on felt or either strips 2x4".

Also got 40pcs of the plastic bamboo from an East Coast distributor. Its all about 4 1/2-5" tall. Am intending on basing it on 1 1/2" washers, three stalks per washer. Am concerned about the height of the stalks. My tallest trees are 5" and unless I cut them down, they will not look right. I did use wire cutters on one stalk and cut it in half. I know most of the stands or bases I have seen here for 20mm have been larger semi-dioramic bases with the stalks left at 5 inches or more. Again, as with the elephant grass, I want these moveable and they too will be placed on top of flocked felt. This is the same stuff as the chinese bamboo, soft plastic coating a wire. Any suggestions? Will be using a hot glue gun to attach to the bases.

Final question (about time, huh?). Gaming 20mm skirmish, how is everbody basing support weapons. For all my earlier modern gaming, I mounted crew served weapons, ie...HMGs and mortars along with the crew on larger size bases. This was with the standard infantry being single based. For those of you using FNG , Charlie Company or Long Road South, are you basing the mortar or hmg separately and the figs individually?

Apologizing again and humbly thanking you guys for your help.

Hope this finds all of you well.

Sam
yankee sam

Re: astro turf, plastic bamboo and a basing question

Postby General Castries » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Sam,
In terms of basing, I game in 20mm. All of my figures are individually based - except for heavy weapons teams. For weapons teams, I have the on a group base.

In regard to terrain, it sounds like you're on the right track. Don't worry about having tall bamboo - the stuff grows very quickly in nature. There's a bamboo thicket at the end of my street, which must be 6 meters tall.

Tim
General Castries
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby jimmi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi Sam,

I cut the astro turf for 'elephant grass' into triangles .... that pack away into the box I store them in ... I cut into triangles to give them an irregular appearance that when placed next to each other I can organise into irregular shapes that still accommodate linear terrain Ok .
I don't cut em into round or oval shapes because it's too hard to store lots (flat) , too much wastage (relative to triangles) , and hard rubber backing is a ***** to cut (..I use a strong box-cutter knife), so the less cuts/cutting the better.

relatively ...the shorter turf I use for rice padi is always in squares / rectangles or strips ..... 'elephant grass' etc always in triangles (or strips)

I mounted my bamboo on 3mm MDF ... I drilled tight holes for the bamboo , painted the base , and pulled through the wire (through the base), and glued it all off into the holes , then cut the excess wire poking outta the bottom of the MDF base, and smoothed the bottom on a sander . It'll be super strong / durable.

If you are mounting on washers perhaps mounting the bamboo in modelling clay (eg; DAS) will be your answer ?

:cheers

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Mishima » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:28 am

It's good to have a system. :good
Joking, aside I like the triangle idea - you can't get ovals/blobs to tessellate.
http://www.gomidesigns.co.uk
For 15mm Vietnam Riverine models.
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:13 pm

I have been relying on the automatic notices of new topics and postings an see I am missing a lot of things.

I mount my support weapons and each crew member separately, whenever I can. Some weapons are cast with at least one man as part of the weapon. Britannia does this in some cases. I don't particularly like it. I like to take casualties out as they occur and replace them with a casualty figure. I can't do this if the crew and weapon are all on the base.

However, I must admit that putting the crew all on a base generally makes things fit better and have a much better look.

I agree with jimmi about the reasons for staying away from oval bases. I never thought of triangles until later when I was mounting some pine trees for my Sioux Wars games. I used squares for my bamboo and my jungle stands, about 3" or so on a side.

My bamboo is from Hong Kong if I remember. It may be cheaper than yours. I don't think it had a wire...all plastic. I did cut it into different sizes. For my 20mm figures I think most of it is around 4".

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:05 am

Another concern of group basing I forgot is fitting the base in a tight spot on the terrain. I see photos in the glossy magazines of 28mm figures on large diameter round bases and wonder how they use them on the table for foxhole, trenches and other tight spots.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Blackhorse 11 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:40 am

I've tried all different basing schemes; single, buddy team, 3-man and 4-man fire teams, whole squads, etc. I tried circles, squares, triangles. I even got creative and did a blue arrow shape (US) and red diamond (enemy) for a bit. Finally after many battles I do the 1st squad as single figures. 2nd and 3rd squads are fire teams with the squad gunner (if MTOED) and squad leader as singles. Also LT, PSG and any attached personnel like FO and medics, are also singles. This gives a good flexibility and makes movement faster when playing company level games. The reasoning is the lead squad makes contact and moves to cover as individuals. The follow on squads deploy on line as squads setting up a base of fire. Then move as teams to outflank and assault through. Or the lead squad clears the buildings and the other squads set up a cordon/ blocking position. So far this has worked out very well. Playable, looks good, "realistic". Hope it helps you out.
Blackhorse 11
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jimmi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:34 pm

I usually base infantry mostly on 30x30mm bases which I'll place one to three or four figures. I also like using 40x30mm bases as a 'standard' basing size.
I have done some troops up on the Battlefront 50x30mm bases and think thats just a little bigger than it needs to be.
The 30x30mm bases 'work' ..hide more easily in fortifications, can store more (a whole platoon) in a 'takeaway-food'-sized container ( I use for storage).
If I'm basing round bases (I don't prefer for myself) I use plastic poker chips from a "$1" shop and magnet-sheet their underside so they are bottom-heavy and magnetic.

I've found some pics to show the terrain triangles idea ; each 'set' of terrain has a A4 sized footprint ... because I'll eventually store it in an A4 postbox or cut-down empty computer-paper box (which are cheap and tough and store three to a plastic container perfectly.)

So seemingly 'random' triangular shapes

pack up into an A4 box about 15cm high

and I use the same idea for grass / turf matting / teddy-bear-fur long grass .....so I can organise all the shapes into flat layers and pack several layers into an A4 sized box .

so even fairly irregular looking shapes all pack up 'together into many flat layers . If this is what 'tesselate' means ...I learned a new word this day.

so I can store / transport as much as I can ;

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:36 am

Neat! I like the irregularity of your triangles. They look super and they are very practical for storage. Good thinking!

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Smitty14 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:41 am

Excellent! That gives me some good ideas for when I get to making bases for jungle/forest and grass.
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby yankee sam » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Sorry to be so long in saying a hearty thank you. Jimmi, I would never have thought triangles for the astro turf elephant grass. both for the cutting part and how they look. Thanks for posting pics as well. Additionally, thanks for the input on height and basing of the bamboo. Mine may not be the same chinese stuff as mentioned earlier. It is injection plastic over thin wire. These ran 40pcs for about $11 including shipping(here in the US). I have some ancient 2" square metal bases that I may use for those.

Tom, I figured it would be best with 1:1 skirmish to base the weapon separately from the crew. Since I am using US pennies, down the road I probably will get some Litko horde type bases for movement stands.

Again, thanks to you all. Hope those of you who celebrated Thanksgiving had a good one.

Best to everyone here on the forum.

Sam
yankee sam

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:44 am

Hey Sam,

I like the idea of using Astro turf as Elephant Grass. How did your project work out? Do you have any photos to share with us at all?

:coffee
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby yankee sam » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:53 pm

Hey L. Sabia!

Jimmi's irregular cut triangles for the taller astroturf sections works like a charm. But as he mentioned, cutting that tough plastic base isnt easy, I went through one of those razor knives with the sections of blade you can break off, when I did the 4 6" squares. I did both irregular triangles and the longer strips like he pictured.

The bamboo I have been procrastinating on. Friend I game with had some of the chinese stuff and used cardboard coated in glue, one of the gorilla glue types built up to almost a half inch high. let it firm somewhat and stuck the pieces in the glue,flocked and painted. He again, did irregular shapes of strips, rough triangles and ovals, using probably 5-8 stalks per stand, depending on size. His bases ranged between 1 1/2 x 3, 2 x 3, and 3 x 3 stands. They looked fairly thick, with no room for figures on the bases. He also used felt to indicate the terrain feature for his US vs Moros game. He got 17 stands out the 100 pcs. He also did not shorten the stalks, but he is working in 28mm. Got me to thinking of doing something similar using either air dried clay or instant paper mache over cardboard. using either washers or metal figure bases would just not look right. too regular.

As to pictures, for all intent and purposes I am IT illiterate. Nothing picture ready now anyway. And after just seeing your French Indochina bases, not sure I would dare post pics of anything I do! :-)
thanks for your inquiry.
yankee sam

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:38 pm

For what it may be worth, here is a link to a post I did on working with the plastic bamboo.

http://fieldsoffireonline.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2499&hilit=%20bamboo

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Return to The Art of War