Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

French Indochina LVT's

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

French Indochina LVT's

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:22 pm

For me the French Indochina war is somewhat of a passion project. I don't expect to game with anybody for some time to come as I am the only person I have ever met (in the person) who has any interest in the French conflict. For me, at the moment this is a project that is all about painting stuff I haven't had the chance to explore before and use it as an opportunity to try new painting techniques to see what I can get from them.

IMG_0038.jpg

The painting techniques that I used for these vehicles were shamelessly appropriated from Ruben Torregrosa at Heresy Brush (http://www.heresybrush.com) who is quite frankly one of the best miniature painters on the planet to my eye... and he uses an airbrush for a lot of techniques which I have learnt a lot from so far.

These vehicles were done in three main blocks. The Hull painting, the transfers and finally the Track painting. The track painting methods are really shown to fine effect on wider tracks such as those found on the late war German tanks but works fine on LVT's as well.

To paint the hull these are the steps I went through:

Steps 1-4 is airbrushed and then hand painted from then on.
1) Airbush a basecoat all over the miniature of Tamiya XF58 Olive Green
2) 1st Highlight of Lifecolor UA221 Khaki Olive Drab in a panel highlighting technique. Panel highlighting is lightening each panel area of the vehicle at the centre leaving it to darken towards the panel edges. This assumes numerous sources of lighting which isn't realistic BUT I do think is the most attractive. Zenithal highlighting is one that assumes one lighting source which is probably the most accurate if realism is what you are chasing.
3) 2nd Highlight Lifecolor UA224 Faded Olive Drab (a)
4) 3rd Highlight Lifecolor UA224 Faded Olive Drab (b) + white.
5) Apply decals at this point (see below)
6) Apply a satin varnish
7) Apply AK Interactives Filter for Nato Vehicles all over the vehicle
8) Apply AK Interactives Wash for Nato Camo Vehicles on the areas that need detail profiling
9) Allow the Filter and Wash to dry and then remove the excess using cotton buds/ brushes with White Spirits.
10) Apply Vallejo's Chipping Colour using a sponge along the edges of the vehicles with dabs applied sparingly to the flat panels as well.
11) Accentuate some of the larger chipped areas with a brush also using Vallejo Chipping Colour
12) Profile some of the chipped areas using Vallejo Iraqi Sand and painting fine lines along some of the larger areas edges.
13) Using a very watered down Vallejo Light Rust paint streaks downwards from areas where rust will gather, and allow some to pool around bolts and hinges etc.
14) Apply your matt varnish.

IMG_0040.jpg

Applying your decals:

Finding decals for use with the French Indochina conflict is simply impossible at 15mm so I found it necessary to make my own decals

the important thing to remember if you are using homemade decals is to firstly paint the area where the decal will be applied with Micro Set which is a solution that will help decals bind to the surface they are being applied to.

Once the decal has been applied and has dried thoroughly the area should also have a drop of Micro Sol applied to it which will allow the decal to form to the surface architecture avoiding raised areas on decals.

IMG_0045.jpg

Painting the Armoured Vehicle Tracks

The method I use of painting the vehicle tracks is a little long winded BUT with tanks that have wider tracks it really shows why its the method of choice. I use it, quite simply because I am a creature of habit!

1) Paint the tracks with Vallejo Panzer Aces 304 Track Primer
2) Drybrush the tracks with Vallejo 863 Gunmetal Grey
3) Apply AK Interactive 083 Track Wash and allow to dry
4) Use AK Interactive 065 Afrika Korps Filter to the areas that you think need dust
5) Apply deep profiling to the bogies and tracks using AK Interactive 075 Wash for Nato Camo Vehicles
6) Apply AK Interactive 086 Track Rust Pigment to the tracks and use a Pigment Fixer
7) Apply Matt Varnish

...and there you have it. Super realistic tracks

The last step in the modelling process for me is the application of the bases. I like my vehicles on bases because I think it protects them from the occasional knock that could have been avoided.

I use exactly the same process on these as I used on my Commando Francois jungle bases without the excess sculpting on the bases using Green Stuff, garden twigs and brass etched foliage. I just made sure that the scatter and the clumps were dense enough to imply what they were meant for . Job done!

So there you have it. If you have a close look you will notice that I haven't heavily weathered my vehicles with environmental mud or anything like that which I used on my Polish vehicles because I think the distressing that I have done on these already looks attractive enough to carry the vehicle image and I didn't apply any track pigments either as the available surface areas on the tracks just isn't big enough to carry enough pigment to create an effect so I had to settle with what they look like now....

On the whole though Im happy with what Ive got here... and my Groupement Amphibie is well underway!
L. Sabia Byrne

Re: French Indochina LVT's

Postby c0cky30 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Get in touch with Richard at http://www.montyswargamingworld.co.uk/ He is involved with Too Fat Lardies and currently all over organising a Chain of Command supplement for the French Indochina.
c0cky30

Postby sunihanble » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:55 am

Really nice.Love them.
Do you know that Bison décals made somes french ones for Indochina?
It's 1/35 but it can help to make your owns.
35033_1neu.jpg

35033_2neu.jpg

35042_1.jpg
Last edited by sunihanble on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunihanble
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby sunihanble » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:58 am

sunihanble
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:20 am

Thanks guys Ill reach out to Richard and see whats going on.

Pascal, I actually have all of the 1/35 decal packs. Its where my unit logo research started. I used them to find vector graphics on Google and then used the correct vector graphics to build the decals. The only area that was impossible for me to do at home was white text on a transparent background because of the fact that home printers dont print white. :sad

Still, I think I managed to get the basics of what was needed... when I have some time I will go back and fit the vehicle aerials and pennants on to them all :good
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby Cessna » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Those look excellent. I've got some LVTs for WWII USMC, I may well steal some of your ideas!
Cessna

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks Cessna, Im glad you like them, and you are more than welcome to poach any of the ideas that you like. If you need any clarification then please feel free to ask :coffee
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby GARRYOWEN » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 am

Very nice work. Somehow I missed this.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby whoa Mohamed » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:35 am

very nicely done.
"[http://www.gomidesighns.co.uk/supportbanner.jpg]"
whoa Mohamed
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Risaldar Singh » Fri May 06, 2016 9:18 am

Very nice. Are these Skytrex/Command Decision?

[Edit] So how do you manage with white text decals ? Tiny Letraset on clear decal paper ?
Last edited by Risaldar Singh on Sun May 08, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Risaldar Singh

Postby predhead » Fri May 06, 2016 11:01 am

Very, very nice! All of your work is quite impressive...both motivating (to get me painting) and depressing (because I cannot paint that well) at the same time!
Darryl
Ambushed in the Alley http://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com
We've been up on that hill ten times, and they still don't think we're serious.
predhead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby whoa Mohamed » Fri May 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Looking good...
"[http://www.gomidesighns.co.uk/supportbanner.jpg]"
whoa Mohamed
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Etranger » Sat May 07, 2016 2:16 am

Lovely. I must get mine finished.
Etranger

Postby Cessna » Sat May 07, 2016 12:33 pm

L. Sabia Byrne wrote:Thanks Cessna, Im glad you like them, and you are more than welcome to poach any of the ideas that you like. If you need any clarification then please feel free to ask :coffee

I may well be asking some questions. I've always had a soft spot for LVTs, ever since I was a crewman on the modern version...

Cessna

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Tue May 10, 2016 7:52 am

Hey guys

Apparently I have missed about 5 comments being posted on this thread. Apologies for the delay in my reply.

Im glad you guys all like them. Predhead; there really isnt anything complex that has been done on these, its just lots of little steps that all add to the overall effect. I would urge you to have a bash and then tailor it to a degree that you feel comfortable with, which gives you enough finished miniatures to keep you happy.

Risaldar; yes these are Skytrex miniatures. The white text decals I cannot do myself so I have to source them from Ebay suppliers for the vehicle names BUT all of the other decals I have made myself... and had to cut them really REALLY closely to the design when using them to avoid any white borders.

Hope that helps :D
L. Sabia Byrne

Return to The Art of War