Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Gaming Table at Salute

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

Gaming Table at Salute

Postby Smitty14 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:46 pm

Found this one while looking at coverage of Salute. Cool looking table I thought.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/liveblogentry/gaming-tables-at-salute-2016/
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re: Gaming Table at Salute

Postby Dan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:37 pm

That setup was responsible for me going big with my project.

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/joedev ... t=3&page=1
Dan
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby OTB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:26 am

Great table. I noticed they were not using rulers and were talking a lot about who holds initiative. It sounds like a Crossfire game to me.... :really
The McGyver of Nam wargaming.
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Gamesman15 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:46 am

It was an impressive diorama table..... Though I liked the ECW siege of Bristol games setup
Gamesman15

Postby Smitty14 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:07 am

It looked like there were a lot of impressive tables there. Maybe someday I'll make a special vacation across the pond and include Salute in the visit. :really
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Mishima » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:11 am

It was an impressive table. Tried to talk the guys running but they weren't interested.
Personally I thought the Finnish Winter War table was excellent. Also there was an impressive AWI table.
http://www.gomidesigns.co.uk
For 15mm Vietnam Riverine models.
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby shooter » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:32 pm

That is a bit rude, was it a demo table or where they just playing, understand if it was a tournament, but as a demo game, you should always have some one available to talk to people.
shooter

Postby Gamesman15 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Yes the winter war tab;e was good too.... not so keen on fighting in the snow though... ;)
Gamesman15

Postby Darby » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:21 am

I've never understood the demo game thing where "we play, you watch" was the thing, seems a bit snobbish. I always figured the best way to demo a game is to get people to participate, have them play it and push the lead around the table and throw the bones. Otherwise it's like going to a sporting event where you don't care about the outcome...
Grunt Sgt: "We got 6 confirmed kills..."
Intel Officer: "NVA or VC?"
Grunt Sgt: "Monkeys. And they didn't say what side they were on."

Darby
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:40 am

Agreed. However, they really look good. I would enjoy looking at the table for a bit, but not watching them actually play the game.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Peabody » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:13 am

shooter wrote:.... as a demo game, you should always have some one available to talk to people.

Spot on. You can always play a "proper" game at home or at the club.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! A blog about minis and gaming.

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Maybe its just me? but I like to put on games in public that can be left up for a couple of days to display my latest project. We always talk politely to anyone who is interested in what we are playing and have introduced people to several new sets of rules. The impact you make may not be immediately obvious as people will go away and think about what you are doing. There is only once that I can remember someone strange to us joining in on a game as people seem to just drop in for an hour for a look rather than stay all day. Last week I dropped into the local GamesWorkshop for some paint and the manager there complimented me on my Demo that I put on last August which was nice. The President of my local Club likes to have Demo games put on at Conventions as a bit of eye candy as a room full of Competitive Gamers is often not a pretty sight for the General Public.
Dan
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:29 am

Ive heard a lot of noise recently about really excellent display games putting people off joining the hobby. That never made a lot of sense to me... unless you are the kind of person that cant stand aiming for something better than what you are doing at the moment.

One of the best games I ever played (or ran in this case) was when I was working at Games Workshop back in the dawn of time, and what made it so good is that all comers were welcome to get involved and the mission objectives were really time pressured and required a lot of teamwork to achieve. Every one of the kids who played that game ended up getting involved in the hobby... we should see more of that kind of thing at the shows I think :cheers
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby Gamesman15 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:11 am

It's nice to look at a good set up... however i like to see the set up being used in a game.
What always attracts me is a interesting game and rule set... especially one that has a buzz about it and the energy that the game and the rules create... too often games seem slow and turns and actions are measured. people taking time to take measurements before deciding where to move, then factoring how many dice to roll etc
:blowup
Gamesman15

Postby alnewhaven » Sun May 29, 2016 3:53 am

Article about this set up in Wargames Illustrated
alnewhaven

Next

Return to The Art of War