Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Indochina Vehicle Pennants

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

Indochina Vehicle Pennants

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:33 am

A question to my esteemed colleagues if I may?

Does anybody have the slightest idea what CEFEO's vehicle pennant practises were? Ive seen plenty of pennants on plenty of photographs but no idea if there is any consistent designs relative to rank or orders.

On researching around the subject other nations seem to modify their practises as and when it suits them to confuse the enemy but I cant find a single word written on French practises...

ANY help would be really appreciated on this

:coffee
L. Sabia Byrne

Re: Indochina Vehicle Pennants

Postby sunihanble » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:13 am

Hello
I asked the question on a french forum for Indochina war , i wait for response.
Pascal
sunihanble
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:57 am

It looks like you are step ahead of then Pascal. I would greatly appreciate you passing over any information that you receive.

cheers

:good
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby sunihanble » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:04 pm

Hello
Just one reply at the moment and not really good.
( google traduction)
in response to your question, this seems unlikely because the command vehicle , depending on its level, is intended rather to the number of radio antennas. Stencilled were affixed upon the arrival of CEFEO because it was used in the DB. The more necessary discretion require too precise ban all forms of identification in order not make targets for the enemy ... even among the riders!

But ,like you I've found some photos with pennants on véhicules ( most are weasel or LVT4)
I spent a couple of hours looking for information but I don't find anything.
The only text that I 've found talk about a red pennant for "chef de section"

Despite I found information for the beginning of WWII ( 1940) but I 'm not sure it was still used in Indochina.

1940:( google traduction)
The command pennant consists of a triangular flame 40 cm long fixed on against a metal pole over a length of 30 cm. The iron pole was 1 meter 20 long and 8 mm in diameter, so they can spend easily through the slot. it ends with a wooden handle for easy handling ... "
" The flame of the flag is variable in color . This is characteristic of the tank commander 's rank. The white and green colors are those of the company commander, white and red colors throughout are those of the section head , color red is one of the leader half-section, the blue color is that of the gunner tank commander . "
" Each tank also has a second flag square yellow flame of 30/30 , which is used to indicate that the tank is down. This flag remains visible as the car is locked . "
1940 pennants ( from Liliane and Fred Funken books)
6 chef de section
7 sous-officier adjoint
8 char subordonné
9 commandant de compagnie
10 fanion de panne.

Pascal
Still looking for informations. :)
sunihanble
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Hey Pascal,

This is a great place to start from and to be honest, the detail that I actually need to go into at the level that I am modelling at, this information will be more than enough I reckon.

Thanks a lot! :good
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby sunihanble » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:46 am

Your welcome
I've got news.
Here is one response someone give me from another forum.
(google traduction)
Be careful not to confuse the flags that you show us simply correspond to a unit flag. ( i was showing pictures of LVT4 with pennants)
They simply can differentiate vehicles according to their parent unit within the same regiment (eg blue for the 1st Squadron , red for the second, etc ...).
If this is what you would represent these flags in Indochina, I think you can put them without worry.
After that, from a historical point of view, if your vehicles are the same squadron flags should be the same color .
This type of flags is still used today and ,for example, there are often a green and red flag on the vehicles of the Legion :

My question after that
is there any regimental,squadrons colors or everyone makes their own ?
The color of the flags is the traditional color of the unit, so we did not do anything .
Now that I have told you this, good luck because depending on the weapon ( cavalry , artillery, infantry ? ) The type of unit (hunters, cuirassiers , hussars ? ) Colors vary .
If you do not want to bore you , you put blue, red, green or yellow, there is in everyone ...
If you want to know the consistency color / unit for a touch of realism , you can search with regiments still exist, because these colors have not changed since that is the tradition.

That's it , I hope it can help .
Pascal
sunihanble
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:21 am

This is all great Pascal. Thanks so much for the info... I reckon its more than what I need, but at least I now know to keep the LVT's and the M29C's pennants the same colours (up to a point) :good
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby sunihanble » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:04 am

At last .... :)
From https://www.bo.sga.defense.gouv.fr/bore ... l&#note058

CONVENTIONAL UNITS COLORS. (Depending on their rank.)
Rank of the unit. Unit formerly "on foot". Units formerly "mounted".
1st unit. Dark blue. royal blue
Second unit. Madder. Garance (originally crimson)
3rd unit. Daffodil. Dark green.
4th unit. Green. Sky blue.
5th unit Red and blue. Crimson and royal blue.
6th unit Red and white. Crimson and white.
7th unit Red and daffodil. Crimson and green.
8th unit Red and green. Crimson and blue sky.
9 unit Daffodil and blue. dark blue and green king.
10th unit Daffodil and red. dark green and crimson.
1st unit of instruction Sky blue Orange.
2nd unit of instruction Orange Daffodil.
sunihanble
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:30 am

Now THAT link has everything Pascal! Excellent EXCELLENT research you have done there my friend!

I believe the mystery of the CEFEO pennants has finally been comprehensively solved by your good self!

Thankyou! :cheers
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby Risaldar Singh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:53 am

I've just come across a reference by a 5e Cuirassiers veteran saying that the unit flew red and blue pennants (traditional cavalry colours) for parades.
Risaldar Singh

Return to The Art of War