Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Jimmi's 15mm Flashpoint minis

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

Re: Jimmi's 15mm Flashpoint minis

Postby Smitty14 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:30 pm

I laughed when I saw it. I like how that comes up every so often. :cheers
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:12 am

Peabody wrote: Seriously though, I bet some of those pieces would work for 20mm... Just need a stand-in 20mm mini on a penny base to judge by.

Hi gents , funny you should mention this ... If you are looking at the sandbagged positions ...there's a story here .

When I tool over Flashpoint Minis in 2012 there was a few sandbag walls as masters that weren't being used ... I initially thought "these are too big for 15mm" so in the production-moulding phase... shrunk them a little to make them a bit more '15mm friendly'. ...and whomever bought them from the website for the first couple of months I followed up on to get feedback. Well ... feedback was all positive ....and I've since worn out a set of moulds producing these.

So I'd suggest that these sandbags are a teeny bit bigger than they "should be" for 15mm. (...but many of the sandbagged positions on the market are perhaps a teeny bit smaller for 15mm )...but I'm not too worried. They seem to work just fine ...and when the shooting starts ....

So yes ...I'd suggest that the sandbagged positions would work just fine for 20mm (the other "one true scale".)

but here's the requested shot for the 20mm-ers out there . (already done... for just this moment)... Airfix (and others) WW2 USMC.

and here's another with 15mm USMC figures ..... Always Faithful !

"one of each" of the sandbagged positions looks like this ;

? comments ? .... thoughts ??
Last edited by jimmi on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:47 am

While I'm thinking of it... pretty much most of these items would work in 20mm ....these are just (simulated) holes in the ground.

The 'VC' positions are plumbed to take a base either 3x2cm (third row right) or 4x3cm (third row left and middle) or 5x3cm (second row right and left, and rear row left) or 5x6cm (second row middle) or a 3x3cm base (rear row right)

My logic is that the 3x2cm , 5x3cm and 5x6cm are all the base sizes made most popular with BF/FOW.

Wheras pretty well every other 'stand-based' system in 15mm works from 3x3cm bases ...so 4x3cm fits niiice , and the 3x3 pit is perfect.

The bunkers at the front are intended to represent a rifle bunker in one orientation (front left) or machine-gun bunker if turned around the other way (front right)

What IS intended to be '15mm' ... is the "extras" to turn these into a VC 'Base camp', which are essentially cut-down and slightly remodelled hooches to represent 'dug-in' structures or camo'd caches.

Of course what will define the 'scale of a hole in the ground is the men standing in it ....

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Mishima » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:59 am

Great work jimmi. I really like the look of your base camp stuff.
http://www.gomidesigns.co.uk
For 15mm Vietnam Riverine models.
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:05 am

Again ...same for the civilian items ...intended as ;( from rear to front )
fences(breakable) , animal pen, animal 'wallow' (where buffalo and pigs will hang out in the mud when it gets hot) , fish-pond/flooded padi , well , ladder, small bridge (10x5cm-breakable), footpaths/low padi dykes.

All these would 'work' in 20mm .

the small bridge can be placed on top of the animal pen and a 15mm hooch placed on top to make a house-on-stilts. ladder helps you get up.

or you could cut the bridge in two square halves and make two raised hooches .....without such a generous verandah as the 'chief's house ....

[URL=http://img838.imageshack.us/i/ja29.jpg/]
Image[/URL]

the logic of making items in this way is to enable as many different uses as possible from the same pieces...

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:14 am

Thanks Tim ! you were one of the people who provided some of the most useful advice over the last year and a bit ! ... recognise anything here ???

...the awesome Conex container from Gomi designs was the starting point for this CGI shelter ... I wanted it to have the same footprint.

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Mishima » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Cool. Glad you like it. :coffee and glad I can be a help
Man you have been busy :bravo
Tim
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Mishima wrote:Man you have been busy

Hahaha! ...yeah !

....Actually most of this was done a little while ago and was 'trialled' for comment in late-January here in Aus.
eg. Shooter's already got a bunch of all of this back in early April .

After returning from USA in end-April, and with the Battlefront sale and Mike's Hallowed Ground Terrain coming onto the scene about the same time ... it seems the 15mm Vietnam world has exploded into a firestorm of happiness and I've been making and shipping figures like crazy. It's really only juuust quietened down about now.

I've also been busy with behind the scenes stuff like getting spincasting moulds redone/renewed , changing packaging artwork , continuing website hacker defence, etc etc . ...and all the while wishing I was painting shiny figures ...hahahahaha!

This is what's on my 'coming soon' desk right now ..all needs a bit of smoothing rough edges 'yet. "Project ARVN" will come first tho'

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby shooter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 pm

As Jimmi has said i have a load of the terrain pieces to work on and they arrived just before i hit a low point. I just need to get the next week end out of the way and then i plan to attack them with vigour and see what i can do. Sorry for the delay Jimmi.
shooter

Postby Mishima » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:01 pm

He he. Awesome. :coffee
Tim
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi gents !

an update on the ARVN project !

Here's the next three moulds to be done, laid out for display moments before being packed and sent away.

; you'll see here the new ARVN sculpts and some older sculpts being redone for use with the ARVN.

Plus on the bottom right a re-do of the MVC MMG-er and new casualty markers for ANZ and Marines (with M14's).. a different mould.

Since I first got the new figures back (the 'greens i showed in ? July), these have been away for mastering , then back and cleaned and filled (some of the odd crevices the moulds won't like over time),...plus a bit of sitting around while I do lots of other stuff (ie; sell figures, make terrain, fix fences livestock have destroyed, and other paid work) , and now are on their way back to be production-moulded.

Hooray !

Now I've had time to start on my Group-Build project ...Hooray Hooray !

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby dflynsqrl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:32 am

Congrats Jimmi!
dflynsqrl
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Cheers Rod. ...am Happy with how these chaps have turned out, once it all came together. Has been a long-term project.
At some point these projects take on a life/personality of their own.. Am looking forward to seeing them come back.

Have started Group Build task ...feels good to be painting up something for fun for a change, rather than casting and cleaning figures or packing them into little bags.

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Gents ,

just packing up an 'away team' for the big games weekend !

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Smitty14 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:17 am

Great looking away team you'll be using. :good
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Art of War