Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

OTB's Stuff

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

Re: OTB's Stuff

Postby yankee sam » Fri May 22, 2015 11:28 am

OTB,
your Marines are too good to game with!!! they deserve a diorama and a display case! beautiful work. all your work is incredible, but these guys go beyond making any old Marine proud. you hit all the bases. would love to know who you used for leader figs. i am still shaking my head. can't wait to see the NVA/VC!
sorry to be so late posting this. (caregiving doesn't leave much time)
Sam
yankee sam

Postby OTB » Sat May 23, 2015 4:57 am

That's very high praise indeed Sam - I feel honoured. :cheers

The two squad leaders on the left and in the middle are from the Caesar Miniatures Counter-Terrorist Elite Forces box. I had to cut down the contemporary looking "jarhead" helmet to make him look right, and took the modern backpack off him, but the one on the left fits in pretty well. The guy in the middle was used "as is". The guy with the carbine is from the IMEX Republic of Korea Troops box - I had some left over from my ROKA platoon and it would have been a shame to waste them.

The guy with the binoculars is from the same IMEX Koreans box, with an M16 stuck on his back to bring him up to date. The radio guy is from the IMEX Korean War US Army box, while the ARVN guy is an old Roco Minitanks figure I bought about 25 years ago (NATO infantry?).

This guy from the IMEX Koreans box too.

The Caesar Miniatures Counter-Terrorist Elite Forces box offers some very nice figures that can be used for Vietnam - various guys with boonie hats and some nice kneeling figures with Special Forces helmets that will be perfect for helicopter gun crew. I am still working out what to do with the Rambo figure firing a bow though. :rocks
The McGyver of Nam wargaming.
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sat May 23, 2015 12:17 pm

You do a great job converting soft plastic figures. I never had much success with that. You are really cranking things out lately.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby OTB » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:06 am

Well, due to extenuating real-life circumstances, they took 11 months to get done, but here is the VC sapper raiding party, with 2 platoons, a mortar section, flamethrowers, a security element, and a medical unit:

As well as the usual suspects, I sourced these figures from a variety of different boxes, including Italeri Soviet Special Forces, Imex Korean War Chinese and North Koreans, Italeri and Waterloo 1815 WWII Japanese, and even the Airfix Luftwaffe Personnel box. Consequently, the raiding party looks more motley and varied than my normal NVA and VC units, and will definitely stand out if fielded alongside them.

The raiding party HQ stand.

The security element - this is the only unit that has an LMG.

Two platoon command stands with Italeri "Rambo" figures repurposed as sappers - one with an SKS rifle and one with an explosive device. :evil

The Imex Chinese and North Koreans are very useful as they are carrying Soviet SMGs, which the VC sappers used....

As well as having what looks like the satchel charge from Hell. :blowup

Various of the stands have figures working their way through barbed wire, which can be combined for added scenic effect. Note the monster backpacks on the Imex figures, and the nifty ChiCom grenade throwers, as well as the repurposed Italeri "Rambo" machine gunners...

Imex Korean War figure with a Molotov cocktail, along with an Airfix Luftwaffe Personnel guy (that piston rod or whatever it is looks like a Bangalore torpedo to me).

Two Imex Korean War figures with a Waterloo 1815 Japanese flagbearer - shave the flag off and you have a monster Bangalore torpedo.

Flamethrowers courtesy of the Waterloo 1815 Japanese box.

The mortar unit, mainly made up of Imex North Koreans, along with a Waterloo 1815 Japanese radio operator.

Medics courtesy of the Airfix Luftwaffe Personnel box.

And, to round off, I found this in a charity store:

It is a metal Japanese ashtray shaped like a traditional hut. It just happens to be 1/72nd scale and cost me a small fraction of what it would cost for an equivalent mail-ordered resin building...
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:18 am

Very innovative and well executed conversions. I really like the guys crawling through the wire.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby yankee sam » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:15 am

incredible...and I thought your Marines were good!
talk about "gooks in the wire", I hope the troops in the firebase are well dug in!
these guys are scary!
your conversions are wonderful and the imagination of repurposing figs from
entirely different periods is quite a talent!

WOW!

Sam
yankee sam

Postby GARRYOWEN » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:31 pm

If I ever get to doing Laos with Vang Pao against the communists, those Imex Korean and Chinese figures may come in handy. I might try swapping heads with metal 20mm NVA or VC to give more variety for Pathet Lao than the few Platoon 20 figures available.

I'm not sure they will fit together sizewise, but it won't cost much to try.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby OTB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:24 am

Thanks for the complimentary responses guys. :cheers

Now I just have to finish making all the stuff for a firebase.... :blowup

As well as having guys with caps (not common in the ESCI/Italeri Viet Cong box for some reason), the Imex Korean War Chinese and North Korean boxes also feature lots of guys with what look like AK47s. :shocked Consequently they are probably better suited to South-East Asian conflicts in the 1960s and 70s than the Korean War.
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 am

Maybe use them as Pathet Lao as is!

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby OTB » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:11 am

You definitely could - I have plenty of unpainted figures left over.... :really
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby OTB » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Here are some odds and ends that I have finally finished:

Some stacked crates (suitable for a firebase) and a couple of market stalls. The market stalls are made by Wills: one for books and one for fruit and veg:

Some roadside billboards. I should have put a vehicle beside them to show their size - the middle one is as tall as an M48:

A couple of ramshackle signs, also for my firebase (taken from old photos, complete with spelling mistakes...):

Some roadblocks. The rules I use require these for limiting movement along roads and I needed more, so it was about time I custom-built some:

And some walls, made from dowel and some free plastic domino things they were giving away at the supermarket:

Last edited by OTB on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:11 am

Neat. I really like the billboards, the signs and the walls. The walls are very creative. Those little items of scenery add so much to the looks of the game.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Smitty14 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:43 pm

I agree with Tom that those little items add a lot to a game. Really cool additions.
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby OTB » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks guys - I have lots of half-finished terrain pieces that need to be completed so hopefully I will get some more done soon. Currently on the production line are four US ACAV M113s, which I am now painting.
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jimmi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:01 pm

Really cool stuff ! .. where did you find the artwork for the signs and billboards ? ...great finds ! .... need to do me some of them .

really like the utility of the barricades !

:cheers

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Art of War