Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

OTB's Stuff

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

OTB's Stuff

Postby OTB » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:29 am

Hello,

A first post to introduce myself. I have been away from Vietnam wargaming for 20 years, so this place looks like a good spot to start.

Here's a Buddhist shrine I did last week as a first post:

I will keep you posted with more stuff as it rolls off the production line...

OTB
Last edited by OTB on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
OTB

Re: OTB's Stuff

Postby Peabody » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

That's a helluva introduction OTB! Great looking table. The shrine is very effective.
Glad to have you on board and looking forward to seeing more of your kit.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! A blog about minis and gaming.

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 am

Yes, that is really great work. Please do more and post them.
Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby OTB » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:57 am

Thanks for the positive feedback - I love this site. This all sort of feels like a homecoming for me.

I have lots of stuff in the works at the moment - hopefully I should have a couple of more terrain pieces ready by next week.

OTB
OTB

Postby Col.Stone » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:08 am

the stone bits , if they're bases as i suspect, genius :D
welcome =)
Col.Stone
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby OTB » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Yep, guilty as charged - they're Games Workshop figure bases...

I have another of their products in the works, which should also prove surprising when you see the end result.

OTB
OTB

Postby OTB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:13 am

As promised, here is another piece, just off the production line. Thought I would also take the opportunity to play around with my camera a bit:

Yes, it's the venerable bamboo supply dump shelter from the Airfix Jungle Outpost!

But wait, what is lurking beneath it?

I decided to use it to make a Viet Cong HQ with map board and radio transmitter. Here is what it looks like with the roof off:

OTB
OTB

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:51 am

Really, really super cool! Great idea. I have two of those, and all I do is put supplies in them.
I am working on Napoleonics right now, but when I get back to Vietnam, I will have to try that.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Peabody » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:58 pm

Nifty as hell and well executed.
Where does the killer radio come from? It's great.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby OTB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback. The radio consists of 2 pieces of plastic from WWII tank kits. The upright bit is the rear turret bin off a Matchbox Sherman Firefly and the other one was a redundant piece from some ECSI model. I am hoping no one asks me what model radio it is, because it is just a figment of my imagination.

OTB
OTB

Postby OTB » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:15 am

Here's some small stuff I have been working on.

South Vietnamese roadside billboards:

They are ideal for concealing VC snipers and RPG teams...

And some big stuff too - Arc Light craters and incinerated trees:

The wandering VC gives you an idea of the scale.

The trees are acacia twigs and the bomb craters are Games Workshop/Citadel Miniatures moon craters.

OTB
OTB

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Really great items.
I love the billboards. I have some signs, but have not done anything with them yet. I posted something about them in the Intel section of this site sometime probably last year.
Thanks for the photos. Put up sopme more!

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Peabody » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Billboards. Kudos.
Absolutely simple and brilliant. One of those obvious aspects of modern culture missing from our 'Nam gaming.

Those GW craters are perfect for 20mm. I've been using an unpainted set for the last couple of years. Really should get around to dressing them up.

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby OTB » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys.

Here is my latest creation - a VC training area:

From left to right, the posters show 1) artillery and anti-aircraft trajectory calculations 2) the various components of a Maxim 1910 HMG 3) diagrams of Soviet light, medium and heavy machine guns, and 4) cross-sectional views of Soviet land mines and fougasses.

The source of the diagrams is an illustrated Soviet military dictionary (published in Moscow, 1968) that I sneaked out of Russia some years ago. In the West it would be considered pretty innocuous stuff, but even these days the Russians get pretty touchy about foreigners taking supposedly "top secret" military books out of their country. If you want to export technical books, you need a permit from the local branch of the Lenin (State) Library, and there was no way they would have granted it for that one, even if I had greased their palms...

OTB
OTB

Postby Darby » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:21 pm

That is pretty damn sweet!

My father was on a patrol one day when his team heard a couple of shots nearby. His indig translated some chatter they were hearing, and it turns out some VC were having a class on the Tokarev pistol! they boogied out of there PDQ!

I don't know if there was an actual classroom, there in the jungle, but I could imagine just such a thing as you have there (and other recon teams did indeed report and photograph!)
Grunt Sgt: "We got 6 confirmed kills..."
Intel Officer: "NVA or VC?"
Grunt Sgt: "Monkeys. And they didn't say what side they were on."

Darby
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Next

Return to The Art of War