Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Water features.

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

Water features.

Postby Colonel Mathieu » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:08 am

What advice do members have for producing rivers, canals and paddy fields on the table top?

Are there any good online tutorials out there?

I've had some bad luck buying off the shelf stuff, but if you have any recommendations let me know.
Colonel Mathieu

Re: Water features.

Postby GARRYOWEN » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:32 am

I use rivers from Wargamers Terrain. He will make the water any color you want, or close to it. I have the Deluxe rivers. I also had him do some narrower ones for creeks. I think they are great. He is a fine guy to deal with.

http://www.wargamersterrain.com/products.htm

My rice paddies I made myself. Lots of work.

You can see some at:
table-setup-for-fng-game-at-advance-the-colors-and-fall-in-t1335.html

If you go down that thread a bit, you will find a description of how I did them.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:47 pm

I like Toms method of making paddies as it has a nice water effect and won't warp. However I started making my own before I saw them.

I use vinyl floor tiles which had a nice wavy surface. Made banks out of air drying clay and then used some static grass for vegetation. If I were to do this again I'd get some tuffs instead. The surface was simply painted Vallejo US deck tan and then varnished. I'd made the rivers using the same method but for my 20mm Europe setting which I did not like too much, so repainted them for use in Vietnam.
Dan
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Smitty14 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:09 am

I haven't tried it yet but I saw a table online where they did an ocean using the acrylic light panel inserts (see below) painted blue underneath. I think it would work for rivers. I don't know how easy it would be to cut though. :really

I'd check out YouTube. There's a lot of good tutorials on there. I'll see what I can find later.
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby General Castries » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:09 pm

I really like Tom's paddy-fields, which are based on perspex tiles. My own river and paddy pieces came from "Battlefield Architect", but it looks like he's no longer in business. There's only one rule I follow: no bright blue water pieces. :)

Tim
General Castries
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:53 am

The rivers shown on the link I posted for Wargamers Terrain are bright blue. But mine were done in a mixture of blue, green and brown. If I were to have some done exclusively for SE Asia, I would probably go with an olive and tan mixture. But I wanted mine generic enough to use for Europe and North America as well.

I agree that bright blue is horrible. I don't know why Joe put that color on his website. He will try to do whatever color you want.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Yes 'battlefield architect' has been MIA for a year or two now.

FWIW for water features ; I use heavy-duty polythene plastic spray-painted a (matt) buff-tan colour on one side, then placed shiny-side up for Vietnam water features. You can otherwise place it matt side up to represent mud or beaches (depending on how 'buff' vs 'tan' it comes out) ...or work it to represent minor or major creeks at low tide ..so a wide swathe of mud with a thinner 'shiny-side up' piece in the middle. The polythene is easy to pack and transport. the paint wears off after a little while but doesn't detract from the effect and is so easily reconditioned. And cheap ..often for free if you care to hold onto the packaging when you get a major appliance. ..I make a point of supplying Flashpoint minis and terrain pieces in a thick polythene bags that can be repurposed for this. (when not using blister packs that protect the minis better in the post.)

for rice padis I use a short (about 5mm or less) artificial turf I traditionally cut into squares and rectangles. This is mega tough , last nearly forever and can be used to protect/pack other terrain items (eg buildings). I use 1 inch (or less) thin cut strips of (hessian cloured) carpet underlay with a touch of spraypaint to represent the bunds/padi dikes ..that also double as canal edges or raised walkways as need be. All of this packs easily / quickly and is useful for protecting/ packing other items. I use two other grades of turf (ie; heights and colours) to represent elephant grass or tall crops (like sugar cane) that I cut into apparently irregular triangles to make the difference between 'crops' and naturally occurring tall grass/scrub respectively.

Tough ..cheap ..multipurpose , ..and so's my terrain :lol

I've got few pieces of the textured water acrylic that smitty posted ..I use it for representing coastal water (ie rougher salt-water or surf ) and will place a light blue piece of cloth under it for colour effect. For night games I'd use a dark-blue piece of cloth underneath ..and that's one of our 'day/night' indicators for games . It also gets used for the occasional small naval (pirates) game with the kids ....

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby yankee sam » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:11 am

Smitty,

Several years ago, one of the naval gamers used those acrylic light panel inserts over blue felt for his game at one of our local cons. Reflecting the light in the room, it looked like waves in the ocean reflecting sunlight.
had a great effect on large scale.
yankee sam

Postby Smitty14 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Yeah the tables I saw pictures and videos of it on were 28mm scale pirate ships. Blue felt would be a great idea. These guys painted the bottom. Like you said the light reflecting down has a cool effect. I'm curious how'd it'd look in smaller scales. Might be too much "wave action"for 20mm and 15mm. I might have to find a piece of it and give it a go. Experiment.

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby yankee sam » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:17 am

Smitty,
that GM ran two games on that table. By large scale, I meant table size..the panels were covering a 4x10 table.
He ran both 1/1000 Napoleonic and IIRC 1/2400 WW2. It looked fine on both. I think that stuff was about a 1/4
and looked like it would take some sort of power tool to cut it.

I apologize if I hijacked this thread.
yankee sam

Postby Smitty14 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Good info Sam. Thanks!

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Colonel Mathieu » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies. The flex rivers deluxe look great Tom. I've seen the website before but I like to get a personal recommendation. I might order one section to see what it's like before committing to ordering a whole set. I recently bought a full set of river sections from a different vendor and they were awful, I can't use them.

The first kind of river I want to get is a mountain stream in the Thai Highlands for my French Paras and Viet Minh, something like the first two pictures on this page

http://lemurmuredesvagues.over-blog.com ... tu-le.html

So I think I'll email the guy at Terrain Scapes and see what he can do.

I was also thinking of getting something like a 6x1 brown water section to lay alongside my 6x4 table to represent a river edge. The acrylic panels might work nicely for that.
Colonel Mathieu

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:36 am

Those photos look awesome. Before you part with your hard earned cash though, I reckon you could make these relatively simply.

i) Use polystyrene sheets for the terrace levels. Cut them in curves to mimic the terrace contours.
ii) Around the outer edge of each contour build a small lip/ pathway using stuff like Plaster of Paris or Milliput or something like that.
iii) On the inner (and upper facing) face use model railway grass (about 4mm fibres for 15mm/20mm should do it) this will create a heavy rice paddy that is ready for harvest.

There is a hell of a lot more that you can do BUT this would be a great starting step.

I may have to give this a bash myself when I move into a new place (not enough room here unfortunately :umm )

:good
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby predhead » Tue May 03, 2016 12:51 pm

GARRYOWEN wrote:I use rivers from Wargamers Terrain. He will make the water any color you want, or close to it. I have the Deluxe rivers. I also had him do some narrower ones for creeks. I think they are great. He is a fine guy to deal with.

http://www.wargamersterrain.com/products.htm

My rice paddies I made myself. Lots of work.

You can see some at:
table-setup-for-fng-game-at-advance-the-colors-and-fall-in-t1335.html

If you go down that thread a bit, you will find a description of how I did them.

Tom

I think the Wargamer's Terrain wetlands and wetlands standard would make great wet areas, and while not rice paddy-like, might do in a pinch. Wonder if he would make rice paddies?
Darryl
Ambushed in the Alley http://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com
We've been up on that hill ten times, and they still don't think we're serious.
predhead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Tue May 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Joe is an easy guy to deal with. He made one variation for me of a river with the confluence of a creek for the creeks I bought from him. You can always ask.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Return to The Art of War