Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Gaming Table at Salute

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

Re: Gaming Table at Salute

Postby uglyfatbloke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:24 am

We just bought a whole bunch of Ron's helicopters etc. from that collection...looking forward to getting them onto the table.
uglyfatbloke
FNG

Postby Smitty14 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:46 am

Welcome to the forum uglyfatbloke. When you get some time throw a quick post about yourself under "Hell's Half Acre", "Check Your Gear" topic. It's kind of the welcoming place for new folks. Glad to have you here.
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby uglyfatbloke » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:19 am

We've bought quite a lot if vehicles etc from that collection - started of as 'buy one helicopter' and developed into....well...you know what happens.
uglyfatbloke
FNG

Postby Smitty14 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Oh yes sir...unfortunately I know what you mean all to well. That's cool you're getting some of the collection.
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Risaldar Singh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:15 am

L. Sabia Byrne wrote:Ive heard a lot of noise recently about really excellent display games putting people off joining the hobby. That never made a lot of sense to me... unless you are the kind of person that cant stand aiming for something better than what you are doing at the moment.

I agree that excellent display games should be an inspiration rather than a deterrent but the interaction with the people putting on the game has a great impact on the outcome. I've had some brushes with some people who put on very nice games but were grumpy players and totally unresponsive to questions which would have dampened my enthusiasm had it been my first encounter with wargaming.

One of the best games I ever played (or ran in this case) was when I was working at Games Workshop back in the dawn of time, and what made it so good is that all comers were welcome to get involved and the mission objectives were really time pressured and required a lot of teamwork to achieve. Every one of the kids who played that game ended up getting involved in the hobby... we should see more of that kind of thing at the shows I think :cheers

Two of my most memorable games were at Salute back when it was held at the Kensington town hall (prehistoric times!), one was a game of Tet street fighting using Platoon 20 figures and one was a strategic double-blind hex game covering the Battle of Britain with 1/300 models. In both cases, the club members went out of their way to draw onlookers into the game and made the effort of having simple yet interesting rules.
Risaldar Singh

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 am

Well said Risaldar! Getting the blood pumping has no better gaming aphrodisiac!!! :bang
L. Sabia Byrne

Previous

Return to The Art of War