Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Storage and Transport

A place for members to share modelling tips and tricks, as well as pics of miniatures, terrain, table set-ups.

Storage and Transport

Postby jimmi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:10 pm

Howdy !
... a promised photo essay on how I cheaply organise, store and move my bits to share and prompt others into sharing and suggesting their own solutions or better .
I live in the country so when I go a-visiting it's a pretty serious logistical exercise. And I / we like playing relatively big games at the rare opportunities we can get together... so less time mucking about means more time playing and drinking beer afterwards.

At the discount-stores (here in Aus think "Crazy Clarks" etc etc) you can find these "underbed rollerboxes" pretty cheap.
;ie cheap plastic, stackable, transparent storage boxes with wheels underneath that are designed to be rolled under a bedspace ...

these will hold three A4 -sized boxes ..I originally started using A4-sized boxes because I could pick up old printer-paper boxes for free from the local Office supplies and photocopier supermarket. Now I use Australia-Post A4 sized packing boxes which are cheap to buy in bulk and fold out flat when I want to access fiddly terrain pieces inside. See the middle box with these AusPost boxes and the rear rollerbox with cut-down printer-paper boxes I started using .
At the front box you'll see that four takeaway containers also takes up a teeny bit more of a footprint than an A4 area , and if you find the smaller 500ml size they are just high enough for most 15mm figures ...so you can stack them about 3-4 high. That's 12-16 containers in an A4 foorprint. I make little floors out of scrap cardboard and sometimes add a magnetised floor for some takeaway containers that contain breakable items (eg helicopter models) . There is an Aussie mortar platoon in this one .

I also use these transparent plastic "organiser" boxes with 12x compartments that will juuust accept 3x standard battlefront bases (5x3cm). although they fit much better if you shave just a little of the shorter sides of a 5x3cm base. A whole Company fits into two of these.

and I tend to store the figures and models separate to the terrain pieces,

For taller figures model you find deeper versions of these organiser boxes ...here's one I use and have cut away the internal walls to make the figures easier to get to. ..there's magnetic floor in this one too, to keep things from moving around.

for smaller scale stuff (eg. 6mm) I can fit a shedload of terrain/scenery into one of these rollerboxes ...I only need two to travel.

but I have two boxes of "generic scenery" that will do for any scale ...mostly consisting of different coloured textiles/felts/plastic sheet/turf , hills (the bread-and-butter type) , and bags of lichen , smoke etc etc ..anything you will need for most table setups at the 'base-layer'.

If you're into foot-square terrain boards these will fit in these rollerboxes too. I use terrain boards only for DBA games where they are part of how it's done in this game.. All I need for a DBA game (boards/figures/rules etc) except beer will fit in one of these.

My old solution I used for 6mm stuff was these 'tackleboxes' of various sizes in plastic... 6mm stuff packs/organised very well into these because you don't need much height ,...and there is room for a few takeaway containers in the bottom of these. Note in this one ; I've put two giant lead sinkers at the very front to act as a counter-weight for when the thing is open and you take all the stuff out of the bottom.
If these tip ***-up ..it destroys your careful organisation. Image

I hope this has been useful and thought provoking .

Note my use of cheapest everyday items and how I've managed to find a way to fit these together. Magnetic flooring that can be moved around is really useful... to avoid having to magnetise everything which could be expensive.
I also find the turf matting really useful for terrain boxes because I can use it as padding, or to sandwich layers of flatter items such as fortifications etc etc . most of the A4 boxes of terrain (except forests) are packed two or three "layers" deep.

... How do other people here solve this problem. ?

:cheers

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re: Storage and Transport

Postby Mishima » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:21 am

Awesomeness.
I must admit when I started on Vietnam I made magnetising bases a priority. After my WW1 debacle (not magnetic) I planned to start properly.
http://www.gomidesigns.co.uk
For 15mm Vietnam Riverine models.
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby dflynsqrl » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:04 am

That's a genius setup Jimmi!
dflynsqrl
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Nice set up Jimmi,

I've sold my 15mm armies so cannot take a photo for you guys. I used the medium sized plastic tackle boxes with removable walls to house my Soviet Infantry. If you remove the walls then the BF middle sized base will slide into the slots holding the bases securely in a vertical position.

I'm still trying to find a better way of housing my 28mm Vietnam collection which is in metal tool boxes which can be tipped over, ruining my paint jobs as the magnetic sheeting does not always hold securely.
Dan
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:21 pm

I have all my Vietnam 20mm figures on metal bases. I keep them in clear plastic scrapbook boxes that are roughly 12"x12". They are stackable and I have the bottoms covered with 60mil magnetic sheets.

My terrain is mostly stored in various cardboard boxes, mostly copy paper boxes, often cut down if I do not need all of the height. Although sometimes I add a removable shelf so they are double deckers so to speak. Smaller terrain containers I put in clear rubber "tubs" with lids to haul to conventions. My jungle and bamboo live in those all the time.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:14 am

Cheers Gents ! ..thx for looking and sharing !

...admittedly since taking over Flashpoint Minis in end-2012 it's been just the motivation to invest a little and get organised.

I've also overhauled most of my Vietnam terrain pieces and now routinely flock bases which I never really used to do. ... so a bit more invested effort means I want to look after it a bit better.

:cheers

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Colonel Mathieu » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:26 am

Does anyone have any advice on transporting figures for international moves? With oil prices at $28 a barrel I'm not sure my white elephant job in the Middle East will last much longer. Plus I just bought an apartment in Can Tho (on Vo Nguyen Giap Street, appropriately enough for a wargamer) and I want to move my collection home. Any suggestions?
Colonel Mathieu

Location: "The last place in the world where an Englishman is still called a sahib."

Postby Mishima » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:19 am

Not for everyone, but I got some suspended ceiling being thrown out at work.
It's magnetic and now (not quite finished) is securing my 1:600 air.
I have two more off cuts I'm hoping I can get about 4 x A4 out of. They are perforated so not that heavy.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Not the greatest photo but hopefully clear enough to show the usage.
image.jpeg
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:48 am

Wow ! nice one ! ..I know that sheeting stuff I think .. I didn't know it was magnetic !

Is it easy to cut ? ..or is that the sheet metal you just told me you need to cut ?

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:02 pm

I recently found some plastic boxes that hold 28mm figure quite well. I've been looking for something like this for ages so am quite pleased. The partitions are removable and appear to have enough room below them to put in magnetic sheets which I still need to buy. I think they were NZ$7.00 so quite cheap.

P3253541.jpg
Dan
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Mishima » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:37 am

Jimmi - when I say it's magnetic -
I mean it is ferretic ie magnets will stick to it.

Yes it is/was. I scored and repeatedly folded it until it snapped. But the small amount I cut with a hacksaw went pretty well.
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby L. Sabia Byrne » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:19 am

I think if I showed this to 'she who must be obeyed' she would s*** kittens! Either that or thank God how well I economise space by not bringing the bulk of my collection out of storage in Wales to our home in London :cheers
L. Sabia Byrne

Postby GARRYOWEN » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:38 am

I use the same type of box for some of my 25/28mm figures. No dividers. It is a scrapbook box. I put 60 mil magnetic sheets in the bottoms. I tried thinner, but it would not hold my mounted figures.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Return to The Art of War