Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

599 Members, Only Half Have Posted

The forum for community announcements and updates, upcoming events and technical issues concerning FOF.

599 Members, Only Half Have Posted

Postby predhead » Fri May 06, 2016 7:24 am

Just posting some musings about how we can get more users to be active on the forum. Dancing girls and beer :cheers might be a good enticement, but in all seriousness, we have nearly 600 members, and nearly half of them have never posted, and another 150 have posted less than 5 times. We have a great core of very helpful folks on the forum, but is there a way to drive more chatter and interest?

Do the admins have a way of sending a message to the inactive or less active members to encourage their involvement? I would think that gaming Vietnam has to be a fairly common interest among gamers, so perhaps there are ways to get more community activity?

Do the admins or users of the forum have access to Vietnam manufacturers? Is there a way to run some sort of contest with a prize for the most active member during a course of a month that was donated by a manufacturer? Might drive more members to be active.

Do we have a way to encourage manufacturers to offer supporting members a standing discount on purchases? Might encourage more folks to become supporting members.

Again, just some random thoughts, but perhaps we can use one or more to drive interest to really what is one of my fave places for gaming.

Ideas? Comments? Am I completely batty?

Darryl
Darryl
Ambushed in the Alley http://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com
We've been up on that hill ten times, and they still don't think we're serious.
predhead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: 599 Members, Only Half Have Posted

Postby Peabody » Fri May 06, 2016 11:05 am

I don't know of any tools to selectively address a segment of the membership, but B6 might have that sort of power... I'm just a lowly cog! :lol

But it's not a terrible idea, especially if there was a carrot in the offing for our invisible gaming compatriots!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! A blog about minis and gaming.

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Extra Crispy » Fri May 06, 2016 11:26 am

Part of it may be that many gamers are like me - I have a wide variety of interests. So I've been working on 15mm Vikings, 6mm Flames of War and other projects. When I'm not working on Vietnam I don't stop by....
Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
Owner, ScaleCreep.com
Author, DeepFriedHappyMice.com
Extra Crispy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Peabody » Fri May 06, 2016 11:29 am

Indeed, the butterfly & the muse both have a way of leading us to devote time in other niches.

I'm finally free of the black-hole that is 20mm WWII - for the moment - but now deep, deep into 28mm Post-Apoc.! :evil
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby predhead » Fri May 06, 2016 12:38 pm

Extra Crispy wrote:Part of it may be that many gamers are like me - I have a wide variety of interests. So I've been working on 15mm Vikings, 6mm Flames of War and other projects. When I'm not working on Vietnam I don't stop by....

Valid point, Mark...but when you do stop by you do post and share what you do have going on with 'Nam. It is the hundreds of folks who have taken the time to up, many of them legit gamers from what I can tell (some have websites listed, etc.), and haven't written a single post or very few, or even those who used to be prolific who have disappeared for some time. How do we get them active? I like dancing girls, but... :whistle

It would be great to truly make this forum the "one-stop" shop for all things 'Nam, from a gamer's perspective. I was just spit balling some ideas as to how we can drive more traffic.

Hopefully this thread will get some ideas rolling, especially if the main admins can send out some sort of message or create some sort of contest/giveaway.

Darryl
Darryl
predhead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby whoa Mohamed » Fri May 06, 2016 1:20 pm

I have been busy working on 6mm Chain of command which is held up by not being able to get any PSC paint cans for base coats, 90 % of my 6mm Vietnam infantry is complete painted but not yet based ive made no progress on terrain yet since i began going all 6mm. My Modern is in worse shape and my cold war is about the same basicaly I have every thing i need except motivation. I do try to stop by every other day and post since my comms got fixed.....Mikey the Hermit and the one legged hooker
"[http://www.gomidesighns.co.uk/supportbanner.jpg]"
whoa Mohamed
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Mishima » Sat May 07, 2016 5:14 am

Well, I'd be happy to offer formal a discount. To be honest, I think I usually do something for posters I recognise. :good
http://www.gomidesigns.co.uk
For 15mm Vietnam Riverine models.
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Extra Crispy » Sat May 07, 2016 7:45 am

Well, it certainly might be helpful to ask? You could do a 1 or 2 question survey asking if you are (a) a lurker - visit but don't post or (b) dead - don't visit/not interested. Besides coming and going we might have a lot of "members" that signed up during an "ooh-shiny" phase but then dropped Vietnam as a project. I'm close to doing that for Cold War Gone Hot so I may stop posting on Team Yankee/Fistful of TOWS forums as well. But that would be more permanent. So I'd end up in a "posted up until X date then hasn't been back" category.

Is it possible to look at members last visit? How many have not been by in the last 30 days? 60? 365?

In my experience Vietnam is definitely a second or third tier period in terms of popularity. Only the US gets the cool toys, a relative lack of identifiable battles, the difficulty of getting the whole "unseen enemy" rules right etc. make it a little more challenging to get clubs/gamers interested. Vietnam was "hot" when FoW and Flashpoint were somewhat new, but lately my sales of Vietnam have been slim to none, and slim just packed his bags...
Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
Owner, ScaleCreep.com
Author, DeepFriedHappyMice.com
Extra Crispy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Peabody » Sat May 07, 2016 8:04 am

"We happy few" sort of thing. :cheers

From my limited Admin control panel I can't sort or track multiple users at once. Just like you guys, I can click on a profile and see individual member statistics OR view the complete list of Members via the menu right beside Login/Logout. Once there you can use any of the column headings to sort the list. We have 12 pages of members. :coffee

The list of folks who joined and never visited again is almost three pages long... There are nearly SIX pages of folks who never posted, not even once. A fair number of those visited more than once over a period of months or years! It takes only two pages to encapsulate our devoted, creative and committed members. And that's not a bad thing.

There is a lot of good stuff posted here, some old gold and some new. We are a resource as well as a community and when folks drop in to start a project or rekindle their enthusiasm for an old one, they always get a warm reception. Thanks to you bunch and the example set by BravoSix.

Ok, off track there a little bit. NO we can't group sort, but we can quickly get an idea of who might be likely candidates for a "What you up to?" email. :lol

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby predhead » Sun May 08, 2016 4:37 am

Mishima wrote:Well, I'd be happy to offer formal a discount. To be honest, I think I usually do something for posters I recognize. :good

Very nice offer, and gets us started with "perks" for members! Should folks, when they order, send you their user name from the forum?

Extra Crispy wrote:The list of folks who joined and never visited again is almost three pages long... There are nearly SIX pages of folks who never posted, not even once.

Exactly the folks I am thinking need some sort of prod, push, or pull. If someone takes the time to create a profile, they had some sort of vested interest, now we just need to get them active!

I am not only offering suggestions, I am willing to help. I have admin-ed several Yahoo groups (still do) and the Gaming the Korean War forum, and am willing to take on some sort of "welcoming committee" role.
Darryl
predhead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Peabody » Sun May 08, 2016 10:53 am

Consider it run up the flag-pole!

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby predhead » Sun May 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Peabody wrote:Consider it run up the flag-pole!

Thank you, sir! :good
Darryl
predhead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby jimmi » Sun May 08, 2016 4:57 pm

late to the party again with this.

I'd be happy to offer a formal discount at Flashpoint to members. ..as Tim says,.. I often do anyway,... or add freebies I'm trialling out or haven't got 'into production' just yet and ask for feedback.
But would be happy to offer something formal to posting members.

wrt to the number of non-returners etc. Methinks It's a "cup half-full" sorta thing. half have posted !
There's likely a big bunch of usernames for which they have forgotten their logins so just start a new account. these could likely be culled if it takes up memory.

may I say here there is likely a reasonable percentage of Vietnam players who don't come here ..(... gasp ! can you believe it ? ! )... how do we get these along for a few beers ?

I've been busy with work ..am having a really busy moment right now .. and for the self-employed .... you take it when you can.

...and I've actually been reaally wargaming busy too between Flashpoint stuff ( getting orders out the door and new stuff ) and our rules project. ... but not much new to report in here. I have a great scenario model to test out /share here ... just haven't got to write it down....

:cheers

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Peabody » Sun May 08, 2016 7:28 pm

jimmi wrote:I've been busy with work ..am having a really busy moment right now .. and for the self-employed .... you take it when you can.

Same boat here! After a winter of well balanced work + gaming, all I seem to be doing for the last couple of months is teaching and going to board meetings. :thumbs

Peabody
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Smitty14 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:28 pm

If I see people chatting on other forums about gaming Vietnam or an interest in it I try to point them this direction.

I've kind of waited to share my opinions on this because I'm kind of on the fence. It's kind of nice to have the people that are here be here because they want to be and not be incentified, I know it's not a real word, to contribute. I'd rather have a good core of folks with the occasional fresh blood over a bunch of folks just posting or that are here only for discounts or whatever else.
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Next

Return to Checkpoint Delta