Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Cold Wars

Our wargaming forum covering wargaming the French-Indochina conflict.

Cold Wars

Postby timw42 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:53 am

Anybody got anything going for Cold Wars?

I do. This is based on the scenario I've been playtesting the past year or so. Not an historical engagement, but typical of the sort of thing that happened from time to time.

timw42

Re: Cold Wars

Postby GARRYOWEN » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:00 am

I pre-registered for it yesterday. I'm not only looking forward to the game, but also to meeting Tim. I've never played Bolt Action, but I can probably find a YouTube video on it.

The French in Indo China have always interested me, but I will never add the period, so this will be a chance to play it. What's more, Tim's "toys" are great looking.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby timw42 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:20 am

GARRYOWEN wrote:I pre-registered for it yesterday. I'm not only looking forward to the game, but also to meeting Tim. I've never played Bolt Action, but I can probably find a YouTube video on it.

The French in Indo China have always interested me, but I will never add the period, so this will be a chance to play it. What's more, Tim's "toys" are great looking.

Tom

BA is pretty straight forward--I'm fairly new to it, but we won't be using all the rules (no tanks or aircraft, at least not yet) and it's easy to pick up.

Cheers,

Tim W.
timw42

Postby Smitty14 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:44 pm

I can help you out with some videos Tom. I'll email you a couple links. If there's others interested I can post them here too.
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby timw42 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Smitty14 wrote:I can help you out with some videos Tom. I'll email you a couple links. If there's others interested I can post them here too.

That'd be cool. I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch, so anything like that would be good.

Regards,

Tim W.
timw42

Postby Smitty14 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:07 pm

I know what you mean Tim. I'm the same way. :lol

I will include a disclaimer. I feel obligated after Rod started watching videos I liked on YouTube and he got a bit hooked. The videos are not short and will eat up some of your time maybe a lot of your time. :huh

Tabletopbattle is a group of guys from Sweden, if I remember right, that do battle reports. Their battle reports are entertaining but they also help walk you through the rules as they play. Gives you a good feel for the game I think. If you look for them on YouTube you'll find them otherwise below is a link to an introductory video they did. I haven't watched it but I'll link it for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W3G-AkasEo&list=WL&index=1

Beasts of War also has a couple demo videos from when Bolt Action first came out or became "popular" on YouTube. They also have videos on their website, http://www.beastsofwar.com, in regards to tips and stuff. The demo videos are below. It's two parts.

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZXabaKnarg
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi4ARIwyzsM

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:37 am

Thanks Smitty. I have found tutorials for rules to be very good. That is especially true when I won't be using the rules at home, but want to have some familiarity with them for a one time use like at a convention.

If a game master is willing to go to all the effort and expense of putting on a game, I think I should try to figure out how to play. That makes his job easier in running the game. Let's hope I succeed! If I weren't so cheap, I would buy the rules.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Colonel Mathieu » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:22 am

I hope you have some good games. From your previous posts it looks like your figures and table are excellent, so everyone should have a great time.

I wish I could come along and get my troops in on the action.
Colonel Mathieu

Postby timw42 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:15 am

Thanks for the supportive comments. We'll be using some rules mods to model the unique nature of Indo combat (hidden units that are actually hidden, for example, and spotting rules).

I've also come up with some mods for LMG, MMG and HMG effectiveness. These have been playtested 2-3 times now and I'm pretty happy with them.

Specific rules for terrain, booby traps, hidden supplies and interacting with the locals will also be in the offing.

TW
timw42

Postby Smitty14 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:49 pm

I'd be interested in the mods you've come up with. Maybe see how they work for the US conflict.

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby timw42 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Smitty14 wrote:I'd be interested in the mods you've come up with. Maybe see how they work for the US conflict.

The MG rules work like this:

LMG. If given and ADVANCE order, LMGs roll 4 dice to hit at -1.
If given a FIRE order, LMGs roll 4 dice to hit at +1. This simulates using a bipod/tripod when stationary which increases the effectiveness of LMG fire.

MMG. If given a FIRE order, MMGs roll 5 dice to hit.
HMG. If given a FIRE order, HMGs roll 6 dice to hit.

MMG and HMG are not fired "from the hip" (at least in real life) so they don't get additional mods etc. compared to the LMGs which can be fired "on the move," but are more effective when set up.

After playing BA RAW, it strikes me that a tripod mounted .50 cal or even a .30 cal doesn't really do much.

I tend to not overload my OOB with MGs. My playtest group liked how it worked (and they are BA vets).

Basically, you stay away from MG fields of fire if possible.

I've also limited the SMG "street sweeper" effect to short range (6"). Nobody fires of MAT-49s at long range expecting to hit much. These are close in weapons for short range work.

Hiding/Spotting: If a unit moves to within 6" of a hidden unit (12” for vehicles), both units can roll d6 and add their leadership or a leadership modifier (-1 for inexperienced, 0 for regular, +1 for veterans). Officer bonus may apply. Also terrain modifiers from the fire table, at least for the unit that is hidden. High score wins.

Thus far, the rules have worked well but none of them are carved in stone.

I'll have a hand out with a lot of this stuff on it at CW for the players.

Cheers,

Tim W.
timw42

Postby Smitty14 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Cool thanks for sharing them. I appreciate it. :good

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:04 am

Thanks from me too. It will help me for the game.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby timw42 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:41 am

Any other questions I'll be pleased to answer.

If there's a way to post attachments to this board, I'll try to figure out a way to get all the relevant stuff up ahead of time.

I figure I can turn the word docs into jpgs or some such and attach them.

Regards,

Tim W.
timw42

Postby GARRYOWEN » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:16 am

You can highlight the Word document, right click on the highlighted document, select "Copy".

Then paste it into the post. In simpler terms, Copy and Paste.

It may not hold formatting beyond simple paragraphs.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Next

Return to La Guerre d'Indochine