Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Anyone wargaming Cambodia?

Our main forum for general wargame chatter, miniatures, rules and historical discussion.

Anyone wargaming Cambodia?

Postby Colonel Mathieu » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:17 am

I just got some Elheim 20mm ARVN and I was thinking that if I got them painted (I can't paint my own figures)in plain OD fatigues they would also do as Cambodian FANK troops for the 1970-75 Civil war. Platoon 20 does Khmer Rouge packs. Add in some ACAVs, some with 106mm RCLs, a couple of T-28s for air support and you could have some interesting games, at least I think so.

Anyone else tried it?
Colonel Mathieu

Re: Anyone wargaming Cambodia?

Postby OTB » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:52 pm

I have plans to do a Khmer Rouge unit, and do cross-border stuff, but that is further down the track atm.
The McGyver of Nam wargaming.
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby General Castries » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:38 pm

The best book on the conflict I've come across is "Road to the Killing Fields: The Cambodian War of 1970-1975" (Williams-Ford Texas A&M University Military History Series). But I find this conflict very very sad.

Tim
General Castries
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jimmi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Not wargaming Cambodia at present but would like to wargame out the 1979 Vietnamese invasion. Something like a 'best of five' campaign.

:cheers

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Colonel Mathieu » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:15 am

I bought the book recommended by the General. A sad story it's true, but fascinating.

One unit I'm interested in putting on the table is the Cambodian Airborne Brigade, who apparently wore a mix of French para and spotted camo and carried AKs and RPDs, as in the attached photo.

Another good but controversial book on the subject is Sideshow by William Shawcross.
Colonel Mathieu

Postby Mishima » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:43 am

I've read Sideshow. I'd say that's more about the Bombing campaign and the political dimension.
I did enjoy it though.
http://www.gomidesigns.co.uk
For 15mm Vietnam Riverine models.
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Colonel Mathieu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:17 am

Sideshow does have some very evocative passages about the fighting on the ground. I no longer have my copy (which was one of those photocopied books you can buy from street vendors in Saigon) but remember its account of the drunken eccentric General Um Savuth, the picture of smiling FANK soldiers carrying severed heads out of combat, and the author's tribute to the fighting spirit of the ordinary Cambodian soldier.

That's what intrigues me about this particular conflict- no matter how incompetent, corrupt or busy smuggling heroin their commanders were, the soldiers on the front line fought on with incredible courage and determination right to the end.
Colonel Mathieu

Postby Mishima » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:13 am

A while since I've read it. :good.
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby predhead » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:04 pm

I plan on doing Koh Tang Island once Jimmi release Khmer Rouge...oh Jimmi? Any immediate plans as we chatted about some months ago?

Darryl
Darryl
Ambushed in the Alley http://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com
We've been up on that hill ten times, and they still don't think we're serious.
predhead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby jimmi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Howdy Darryl,

haven't progressed on the KR scuplts any further than being better organised for when getting to it .. have a bunch of figures to use as base sculpts to work from.

...Have had a diabolically busy period since end-January (all good) ,.. am still getting bits for Tim @ Gomi Designs painted/finished to show off .

....but also managed to get a new bunch Of SEAL sculpts waiting to go ( hoping for a MSSC ride ..Tim , cough cough ) have a kick-arse MIKE force platoon done , a LVC HQ 'Platoon' done , have a V100 armoured car pretty well done , a D9 bulldozer ready to master-cast , and a Saigon taxi ready to production cast , ..it's waiting on a tuk-tuk 'kit' (with a few personalisation options) which has been mastered but not master casted as yet . I want to do some 'civilian traffic' ,..other than just Ox carts or rickshaws .
my spincasting mould maker will be berserk 'till the other side of April ... I'm planning on having this (incl the KR) ready for him then.

FWIW getting all the various planets (large and small) into alignment to actually get something completed is amazingly difficult as a 'little guy' in the industry, with other commitments . It's really hard to predict what's going to happen to a project timeline.

My mates are all off having fun in 300BC-ish middle east (..an Alexandrian Successor Campaign) or Invading modern African Banana republics with their new modern TY kit . ( sigh !)

Also Darryl ... really like the look of the 'Moongrunt' figures on your site ... ..am trying to stay on task, that's not making it easier .

Haven't forgotten about this at all.

:cheers

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby predhead » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:45 pm

LOVE the fact you are still pushing forward with more releases, Jimmi...give us more to drool over and purchase! YES! :cheers

I can be patient...if there are truly some thoughts going towards some Khmer Rouge, then I am happy!
Darryl
Ambushed in the Alley http://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com
We've been up on that hill ten times, and they still don't think we're serious.
predhead
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Mishima » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:21 am

I've not forgotten Jimmi.
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Hahaha @ Tim .. yes I know mate, more than many , you are in the same boat as me (pun intended)

@ Darryl , be happy ! ... this is a pet project of mine too ! ... I'm looking forward to aligning the planets to get a "Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia" (circa 1979) mini-campaign happening in my gaming group . Am patiently creating the circumstances for this to happen. I'm even hoping the current swing of the gaming pendulum toward 'cold war in europe' gaming will bring a few more likely players 'into the light'. The pendulum will swing away when current stuff fails to maintain interest / develop further ... but it will inevitably swing back again .... and I'll be waiting. :bang

I got approached mid last year by a gaming club in the USA wanting figures to wargame out a "private army in Laos" scenario-driven campaign , with a little of a look this sounded really interesting and I could accommodate this with a little work from the Montagnard and RF/PF figures I already had. This project is really only reaching fruition about now. However I've had a "move now ..out" message from my spincasting mould chap in the last few days so am working to get a lot of things (including some KR) done rightaways .. stay tuned.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for- ... r.html#top

Glad you enjoy ! .... ? Cold war in Europe ? :errm !! here in south east Asia is where the Cold War was repeatedly its' hottest .

jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Colonel Mathieu » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:32 am

@Mishima- Read Sideshow again and read it properly this time. There will be a quiz :good .

@Jimmi- So are you going to produce the Armee Clandestine in 15mm? I decided to do my late project in 20mm because I could get ARVN, CIDG and KR in that scale. If you're going to do all that and more in 15mm I may have to change my plans.
Colonel Mathieu

Postby Mishima » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:15 am

:blush
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Next

Return to Hell's Half Acre