Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Interesting Scenario from Jorgenson’s Acceptable Loss

Our main forum for general wargame chatter, miniatures, rules and historical discussion.

Interesting Scenario from Jorgenson’s Acceptable Loss

Postby GARRYOWEN » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:48 am

When I play games with NVA or VC in bunkers, the Free World Forces have always started in front of the bunker line or bunker complex. SGT Jorgenson’s memoirs gave an account of a battle that makes a much different game and one that may start with action much sooner.

At this point in his book (page 108) SGT Jorgenson is in the Aerorifle (Blue) Platoon of A Troop 1/9th Cavalry. They had been inserted by their dedicated lift Hueys to check out what was in a part of the Dog Head’s area on the Cambodian border.

On the way, pink teams of one scout helicopter and one gunship had led the way, ahead of the Blues’ lift ships. It was a cold LZ and the Blues entered the tree line where they soon found a well used trail with flakes of a recently dropped rice ball. The Blues’ South Vietnamese interpreter, Hue, said the enemy had been there a few minutes ago, had heard the helicopters and maybe had run for the safety of the Cambodian border, or maybe not; maybe they were still around.

Continuing on, the Blues came to the perimeter of a bunker complex. Contrary to the usually concealed bunkers, these were blatant. Protected from view from above by the foliage, on the ground there were hundreds of fighting positions, small one man spider holes and more elaborate structures. The sound of the Blues’ movement was drowned out by the mechanical noise of the helicopters overhead.

So the above was the background. The Blues actually continued on and were inside the perimeter of the bunker complex. The NVA had not fled to Cambodia; they had taken cover from the helicopters within the bunker complex. The NVA apparently thought the pink team was just another helicopter reconnaissance that they decided to wait out. They had not heard the Blues enter the bunker complex. Eventually the NVA discovered the Blues and the fight started. But when it did, the Blues were not in front of the firing apertures of the bunkers, but behind them on the side with the entry and exit opening. The NVA basically had to come out of their holes, and as SGT Jorgenson said, “get their bearings,” and attack.

I thought a nice game scenario would be to recreate this. The game would begin with the Blues within the bunker complex. Random die rolls could determine which fighting positions had which NVA. At the beginning of the first turn, the NVA would have discovered the Blues and the fight would begin.

In the actual fight, Hue went from bunker to bunker, finding the first ones empty. Then he found an NVA in one and shot him. The fight was on. This also could be incorporated into the game with a die roll determining who saw whom first. This is built into FNG as the In Sight Test, complete with Hue probably being a Rep 5 figure based upon his four years of combat experience and still being alive. This would give him an edge over the normal NVA figure. Actually, in FNG figures only have a 180 degree line of sight and as Hue came to the entrance opening, not the firing aperture, there would be no In Sight Test. Hue would just get to fire.

I think I know what my next Vietnam game will be. I love the Blues and using the bunkers I made. I can also play with my helicopters. Sounds like fun to me! :bang

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re: Interesting Scenario from Jorgenson’s Acceptable Loss

Postby Smitty14 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:25 am

That sounds like an awesome scenario idea. It should put the players in a different mindset since it's not a normal attack, just like the real event. Should cause some confusion and different tactics as well. I hope you do it because I'd sure like to see it done. :bravo
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby jimmi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 pm

I remember this story ! , great scenario idea.

I'd like to figure out how to play 'we are already inside the camp ' scenario without an umpire ,.. it's something that happened quite a few times between SEALs, SOG, SASR and LRRPs. It's hard to do on the tabletop with any element of surprise.

One of my Army CSM's won his Military Medal as a young forward scout, of the lead rifle platoon who happened to find an expertly camoflaged base camp eating area , "full of nogs,. quietly sitting down to breakfast" ...

I've got a few specific terrain piece ideas for this that would work for 15 or 20mm methinks.

:cheers

If the enemy is in range ...then so are you .
jimmi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby whoa Mohamed » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:00 pm

Just remember there was no rotateing in an out for VC or NVA. They were also very experienced some with many years service as well...
"[http://www.gomidesighns.co.uk/supportbanner.jpg]"
whoa Mohamed
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:34 am

jimmi, I use die rolls to control a lot of events an umpire would. My group never has anyone who wants to be the umpire. We all want to roll dice!

who Mohammed, I didn't mean to sell the NVA short. Yes, their only usual way out was death or disability. But this particular character, the interpreter Hue, was an exceptional soldier. Some of the NVA would be too. But others, the average, would be good enough soldiers, but not exceptional.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Return to Hell's Half Acre