Welcome
Welcome to Fields of Fire!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

O Gauge Sugar Cane

Links to books, manufacturers, suppliers and other gaming related material can be posted here.

O Gauge Sugar Cane

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sat May 06, 2017 8:10 am

A posting on The Miniatures Page led me to the link below on O gauge sugar cane. I don't know how widespread it is in Vietnam, but I know the Marines on the way to Hue during the Tet offensive ran into it south of town.

And this stuff is sold from Vietnam! Saigon, or Ho Chi Minh City as it says. As an unrelated aside, I have never ever spoken to a Vietnamese person who has called Saigon Ho Chi Minh City. And I know quite a few Vietnamese. A lot of them are under thirty years old, so definitely are not holdouts from the pre-Communist take over days. The vast majority of them immigrated here from Vietnam.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MP-SCENERY-30-Sugarcane-Plants-O-Scale-Architectural-Model-Vegetable-Railroad-/131876307749?hash=item1eb470c325

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re: O Gauge Sugar Cane

Postby OTB » Tue May 09, 2017 1:57 am

You're right about Saigon; I quizzed my Vietnamese lady friend who came over from there about this last year. She is under 30: she said NOBODY from the South calls it Ho Chi Minh City. :lol
The McGyver of Nam wargaming.
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby OTB » Tue May 09, 2017 6:03 am

And according to the FAO, sugar cane is grown all over Vietnam, but mainly in the South: "Viet Nam’s domestic sugar industry is primarily based on sugarcane. The regions in the south account for 80 percent of the nation’s cane production. Cane is generally grown in the drier regions of the Mekong Delta area in the south without irrigation, and of the Red River Delta area in the north. The area planted to sugarcane has been gradually expanding in recent years, from about 140 000 ha in the early nineties, to around 225 000 ha in 1995. The Government aims to expand cane area to 250 000 ha by the year 2000, with 170 000 ha in the south and 80 000 ha in the north."

http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/x0513e/x0513e25.htm
The McGyver of Nam wargaming.
OTB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby air bubbles » Thu May 11, 2017 1:45 pm

'' I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor blade .... it survived '' .....

air bubbles
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Thu May 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Great, air bubbles. That is a lot better for guys like us who do 20mm. I think we are a dieing breed on this forum. Any more, most guys who post here seem to be doing 15mm or 28mm.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby Smitty14 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Yeah us 20mm guys are rare but friggin awesome. :yahoo :rocks
Smitty14's Wargaming Page - http://smitty14swargamingpage.weebly.com/

Smitty14
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby air bubbles » Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 am

GARRYOWEN wrote:Great, air bubbles. That is a lot better for guys like us who do 20mm. I think we are a dieing breed on this forum. Any more, most guys who post here seem to be doing 15mm or 28mm.

Tom

wonder how efficient the vietnam postal service is , I am so tempted to buy some :bang
'' I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor blade .... it survived '' .....

air bubbles
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby air bubbles » Fri May 12, 2017 9:29 am

same people have HO banana trees and HO bamboo .....

air bubbles
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Sat May 13, 2017 1:33 am

air bubbles, I checked with a friend here in the US whose mother sends him things from Vietnam. He has received all of them. It will take three to four weeks to get them here.

Hope that helps.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby skarper » Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 am

I live in DaNang and it's about 50-50 Saigon/HCMC. I always say HCMC. It doesn't seem to be a big deal these days.

As for post I'd say it's unlikely to encounter a problem outward from Vietnam - quite possible to be delayed or waylaid on the way in. I've sent stuff out a few times without mishap.

These look like great products just a little pricey if you want a lot of them.
skarper

Postby Mishima » Wed May 17, 2017 11:53 am

Ooh banana tree / plant would be good.
http://www.gomidesigns.co.uk
For 15mm Vietnam Riverine models.
You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Mishima
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Postby GARRYOWEN » Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Pegasus also has banana trees. They are a little bit on the fragile side. But I use them. To look right, they have to be painted.

Tom
GARRYOWEN
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Return to Intel Center